Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Best Of Crabb Corner Part 2

Geez, dont anybody remember Louis Jordan? (A Dozen before there was rock and roll 6/9/03)
And then next weekend is the Linn Country Fair, for the first time they having free admission and free parking.  The headlines are Quiet Riot, with local flunkies Large Midgets opening. You may wanna arrive later on so you don't have to stomach their butchering of I'm Too Sexy and Pena Calida.  The closing of the fair has Loverboy, and the free country concert is John Micheal Montgomery. (All The Fun At The Fair 6/7/03)
Rain, in DC?  Can you imagine that? Brooksie responding to a blog 6/7/03
Gawd, I hate going to IA city anymore, no good record stores and downtown is not shopper friendly with less parking spots to park at. (R.S 6/12/03)
If you watch the corporate label shuffle as much as i do, you tend to see that even they don't have their stuff together.  Looks like MCA name banner is bout to be retired in favor of Geffen records, but in all theory, its still all Universal to me.  For years, Geffen was one of the more profitable labels back in the late 80s as it own, before MCA bought them out to be yet another satellite label for Universal.  Since MCA has such a bad rap, the Vivendi/Universal bigwigs think retiring that name would generate more business under a different label, they call it restructuring.  I call it a fast shuffle myself.  But MCA Nashville will still be known as MCA since country acts fare better on MCA Nashville. Good thing we don't work at a major label, we be outta job. (All The Fun At The Fair 6/12/03)
Mary Bono has her eyes on the RIAA presidency after Hilary (not related to Clinton) Rosen, takes her million bucks and goes into retirement. And they say Prostitution don't pay. (More Is Less 6/14/03)
You shouldn't be surprised to learn that brother Neil young has once again delayed his four album reissue of On the Beach, Hawks and Doves, American Stars and bars, and Re act or, what the hell is his problem?  Does he thinks that these releases suck or not good enuff or whats the deal?  Hell with it, i just record Re act or off the record to my own disc then.  By the way, these four reissues have been delayed now by twelve years.  Could be worse, you could wait for the Dave Clark five reissues.  (Neil Young Reissues delayed again 6/14/03) RS Note: The NY albums actually did get issued later in the year.
It begin with a stuck stationary front on top of us for two whole weeks while a Bermuda high, so strong out in the eastern hemisphere that this damn front didn't move, which meant our friend the gulf of Mexico gave us so much ample moisture that it rained every damn day, and we not talking light rain, it was heavy and it accumulated into the rivers, creeks and lakes, making them raging rivers in their own way.  It was definitely the worst weather event that I've ever been associated with, my folks got their basement flooded big-time twice in that cursed year.  I fared better by living in a part of Cedar Rapids that was in higher ground, but roads by the Cedar River were underwater for all summer, it wasn't till august that it was safe to drive by the river.   It was much worse for those who lived by the Mississippi River, the river was five miles outta its banks during the worst of the flooding, and of course you have seen the pictures
It didn't occur to me, till when i was driving to st Louis in September and seen condemmed houses on highway 61, seeing the mud line on the house showing how high the water got, and some cases, it wasn't unusual to see them six to eight feet high. It took the Mississippi a good five months to return to its banks.  Even when i was by the arch, the Mississippi was still over its banks there, flooding the street by the river still.  No matter where ya drive, if you were close to the river, the smell of moldy muddy waters was in the air.
But what i remember most during that cursed month of june, was it poured, thundered and the rain was extreme.  It was so bad, that getting to Iowa city in july, there was only one road to get there, it was Highway 1.   You couldn't take Interstate 380, and hiway 965, the Iowa River was over the bridge there, and even though the interstate bridge wasnt close, the water was close on the bridge.  And the traffic at the four way at highway 1/US 30 was from mount vernon to almost the cedar river bridge.  Just simply a miserable time for anybody who was in the midwest.  (The Floods of 93 6/22/03)  RS sidenote: Compared to the 2008 flood, the 2003 was a walk in the park, 15 years ago the flood wasn't around the old place i used to live at, this year's flood went all the way to the Public Works Building on 6th St.  Not something we want to ever go through again.
Two years ago at this point, I was in Seattle with Isabella, buying out cd stores and having great moments together watching the moon rise above Puget Sound on a 11:45 PM sunset, one of the more beautiful settings ever saw.  Hopefully, next year I will be able to once again watch the sunset into the ocean while the moon rises.  But that was two years ago, two months later the whole world changed before our eyes, sometimes things dont work out, and although there are times to which I miss the Spokane Snake Lady; whereever she may be, I hope she's safe and hopefully she has found what she was looking for. (Halfway Through The Year-Crabb Remembers Seattle 6/28/03)
I remember classicrock.about.com chat days, and they were some great days (or nights, i should say). Sometimes it was so chaotic on Friday or Saturday nights, that you couldn't keep up with the flow of the conversation, but once most of the people had left, that's when the good chat started coming down, and come down it did! Although classicrock and oldies  rooms were truly nice and, as you said, we met some great people there, by far the best people are here in da Roost! If i had been looking for a chat room home and found this one, i would have stopped my search right here! (Hoop in a reply 6/28/03)
Did a bargain hunt yesterday in Davenport/Moline area.  Not much to really report, the I-74 bridge to Moline is still one lane both ways,  first time, i took the long way over via I-80. Bigger mistake, took forty five minutes to get to the pawnshop.  All that effort for a Isley brother's Heat is on and Split Enz best of.  The other pawnshop in Davenport has slim pickings over there too, picked up John Illsey's Glass (the other guy in dire straits and a boring album too), and Chance the Gardner (a uncle tupelo soundalike band but with more lousy vocalists).   Problem is, the pawnshops are not taking any more CD's, which leads to the lousy selections.  Half the wonder is where People are taken their unwanted stuff, sure aint the CD warehouse, probaly the local landfill?
Had lunch at a Chinese buffet (not surprised are you?).  Then bit into a dried out chilly pepper. OMG  Hottest damn thing I ever ate.  I see why they make those things into pepper spray, took me a good fifteen minutes to get my breath back.  For some quality entertainment, we saw some kids get arrested for taking some beanbag chairs at the store next door.  Ah, life in the big city, can't beat quality entertainment watching some 12 year old trying to outrun a store clerk on their tail. (Davenport bargain hunts 7/1/03)
An intelligent carrot....the mind boggles. (Blog 7/12/03)
Finally to end this chapter, JT's Trip To Arizona 66
 
Last October I attempted a day trip out of Las Vegas to drive the Kingman, Oatman, Needles section of the old Route 66. I say attempted because little did I know that my trip would be ill fated and my planned route impassable. I did make it to Kingman and Needles via alternate route, but not Oatman.
I set out from Las Vegas across Hoover Dam into Arizona. The scenery was awesome as I climbed up and out of the curvy road section winding from the Dam. As I crested a hill suddenly a long strait Highway 93 and Arizona seemed to just spread out before me. The sky was overcast, and I encountered a few sprinkles along the way. I didn't see any significant rainfall though.
A couple hours out of Vegas including a stop at the Dam for a few quick photos I found myself in Kingman, Arizona. I stopped in at the Powerhouse Visitor Center and walked across the street for photos of an old Santa Fe steam engine sitting predominantly there in a square. I also had a most excellent bacon cheeseburger and vanilla shake at Mr D'z Route 66 Diner.
Tummy and gas tank full I was looking forward to climbing up the Black Mountains to Oatman on the old Route 66. I ended up never getting that far. I had driven maybe twenty miles or so out of Kingman when I noticed a pickup up ahead pulled off on the soft shoulder of the road. I then noticed the reason that the pickup had pulled off was that a creek (which normally would have been a dry creek bed) was raging over the road in flood stage. The road was completely impassable at this point. There had been enough rain up in the mountains earlier that had all flowed down and caused the flood.
Cars on both sides of the creek were coming to unexpected complete stops. It didn't look the creek was going to be subsiding any time soon so at this point I had two options. Either back to Kingman and Vegas the way I had just come, or backtrack to I-40 and go to Needles that way and then back up to Vegas that way.
I chose the via Needles route and set off in that direction. After getting off I-40 and getting a few miles up Highway 95 towards Vegas I came to my second completely unexpected stop of the day. I waited an hour here in a string of cars before and behind me while an accident scene further up the road was cleared and somebody was air ambulance d out. Finally traffic started moving again and a couple more hours up 95 I was back in Vegas.
I plan to be out that way again in October this year. I may attempt this drive again and I'll certainly be keeping my eye on those low water crossings. (7/13/03, JT's Arizona Trip)

No comments:

Post a Comment