Thursday, August 16, 2012

Best Of Crabb Corner Part 4

Bumfuk Egypt is the to the left of Tim butt two hahaha. (from Subscription Blues 10/17/03)
 
More venom and bile to spew, at our wonderful clear channel owned MIX 96.   Monday, when i felt well enough to get out there, I went to the Dollar Store only to hear the dyke queen Melissa Ethridge's crappy song, and then good ole Uncle Krackup's Drift Away, a song that has been on the number one most overplayed piece of crap for the last seven months.  Don't Radio and Records even make a attempt to change their top ten at all anymore?   This is the reason why people dont wanna listen to radio anymore, same ole crap every hour on the hour.  Oh did i say the Dollar Store had MIX 96 on?  Sorry got my radio stations mixed up, it was KDAT, another soft rock station with the same playlist as SHIX 96.   Of course, at work on MIX 96 they were playing the same damn Melissa Dyke Ethridge song  and then Uncle Krackup (im not making this up).  Same songs, different radio stations.  And you wonder why I wanna blow up the radio transmitter.  Oh yea, Sheryl Crow, another reason (please shoot me). (Subscription Blues 10/18/03)
 
this story centers on the eventual closing of Long Wong's, a Tempe based area dive bar, to which you can get greasy buffalo wings, and watery spegetti for two bucks a plate.  When I lived in that area in the late 80s, Long Wongs was the place to eat very cheap, and that place was the basis for the Tempe sound at that time, The Gin Blossoms, Dead Hot Workshop and the Refreshments would later go on to major labels later on, but for them, they were just as unknown once you left the Tempe scene.  But in the twenty years since I was a resident of that town, old buildings down in the downtown Tempe have been torn down and made way for newer, more posh looking and higher rents.  Only the Jack In The Box next door have remained, and I suspect that they too will be forced to locate in the future.
 
True story number two.  Elvis Del Monte, was a charater in himself.  When the Gin Blossoms preformed at Chuy's that july 1992 day,  he got up to do his Elvis impersonation of Little Sister, which he did forget the words, but he more than made it up with his karate kicks.  And I too, thought that he was part of the band too, but when they played the Cedar Rapids Freedom festival one year later, he was not there.
 
Julie Hurm-Tessitore.  This woman I remember sat next to me at Chuy's, and gave me the story of the Gin Blossoms since i havent heard of them at that time; I went to Chuy's on the ideal that the Sand Rubies, another Tucson band was gonna be there.  Somehow, at Chuy's I managed to find a sofa right in front of the stage and she came up later, she was also friends with a band called Echohouse who opened for the Gin boys.  Anyway, she passed away from cancer early this year, and they will have a benefit for her with the reunion of Beats The Hell Out Of Me, a metal band from Phoenix.   Even though I only met her that nite in July, I do remember her.
 
But getting back to Long Wongs, its a dive no doubt, its small, cramped and very smelly, in fact I was there only to go to the bathroom when i was there last august.  Even for five minites of being there, the memories still remain.  Kinda reminds me of my days at the OK lounge in Marion IA, the last known performance of Paraphernalia.  The OK was torn town to make way for the Nancy Miller Public Library, which smells a lot better than the OK did. (The Closing of Long Wongs 11/6/03)
 
 
Another rant to amuse you with.  Went to FYE yesterday, and found three used CDs.  Again, I wish these dammed stores would quit putting out scratchy CDs and charging them 8 bucks for them, and also, quit writing on the disc.  Nothing boils da crabb more than hot water is buying a cd with somebody writing their freaking name on it.  If your not gonna keep your CD, DONT WRITE ON IT!  (Punk Soup 11/09/03)
 
On the subject of Don Gibson,  he died monday he was 75.  Don Gibson to me wrote some of the best songs of the 50s and 60s, and some of the darkest songs to boot.  Who could argue with Oh Lomesome Me,  Blue Blue Day, Sweet Dreams and I Cant Stop Loving You.  My personal fave is Oh Such A Stranger, a song so dark and despair it makes Ian Curtis look tame.  BMG cant keep a decent Don Gibson best of in print, but try to find RCA Country Legends (Buddha), or All Time Greatest Hits (RCA-deleted), or I Wrote A Song (RCA-long long deleted but availble via Bear Family) for a good idea of what he can do.  (Don Gibson RIP From Bottom Of The Barrel 11/21/03)  Note: Arthur Conley died on that week as well.
 
I don't wanna work, I want to bang on the drum all day (the link still works!)
 
Dave Dudley has taken his Big Rig and have head to the Great Beyond. (End Of Year thoughts 12/29/03)
Outside of what i liked, 2003 was another disappointing year.  We lost our last true record store in town, lost the best damn Mexican restrauant in the state, and the last true classic country radio station in favor of yet another faceless Top 40 hip hop station.  And of course, we lost June and Johnny, Warren Z, Ty longley, Don Gibson, and distant cousin Elliott Smith.  On the plus side Rhino did reissue Rank And File, Wounded Bird gave Root Boy Slim back to the masses, and we got some decent blues complations as well.   And the Townedgers finally did get off their cans and put out a new album.  But in the long run, Britney This, Fred Durst That and Micheal jacksons problems all outdistanced the good, Time/Life music barfed up the same ole 70s complations once again and the RIAA terrolized the computer users of the world.   Universial promised us some cheaper cds, but all that was was the usual dangling the carrot in front of the horse.   You want cheap cds, its still the pawnshops, so look there. 
I dont expect any of you to go out and buy everything a artists puts out, but if a artist or band had a classic I think you should know about I would tell you about it.  If I influenced you to buy a Blue Rodeo or a Bottle Rockets or the Romantics then I did my job, If I warned you bout a crappy cd and you avoided it ditto.   But in the end it dont matter, it all comes down to what sounds good to you.  Thats the magic of music,  a song that may sound sappy, but will make you remember the good times in your life, and no smart assed comment will change that.  Good music is timeless, regardless.  (Acknowledgements 12/23/03)
 
Final thought for that year came from End Of The Year Thoughts and hard to believe five years later it still remains true.  Visionary I'm not, but I know a cockroach that you keep killing and it keeps coming back.
 
Britney Spears will never amount to much more than a Pop Tart and a 4th rate one at that.
 
Da Crabb's Corner I predict will last longer than Britney Spears' wedding. (He's Back 1/5/04)
 
It already has, bro!  Hoop ( A reply to above note He's Back 1/5/04)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment