Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Archives: The Best Of Crabb Corner Part 1

I'm thinking Crabb's Corner will be a twice a month, with stories and news you will find handy.  Even though I may not respond all the time, I am always checking to see who's popped in to write something.  Anyway, this is as close to a syndicated column that i will ever get, not that the village voice will ever print Crabb's Corner, or Goldmine or even the Penny Saver, and so far judging from your kind reviews, this hasnt been a waste.  Feel free to start a conversation, or you can read the daily happenings of RS CRABB,  either way  Im glad your here.  This will either be a regular occurance, or this might be the last thing i write (haha-just kidding).  Either way gang, this might take a while so pull up a chair.................... (What Is Crabb's Corner  1/16/03)
 
Probaly another reason why i am still by myself, is that I dont pick out the best romantic music.  Sure, we all swear by Avalon by Roxy Music for that perfect mood music, but then after that all bets are off, although one nite I did play Freedy Johnston's This Perfect World and it went over pretty good.  One romantic excursion found Bob Marley's Legend on the boombox.  I found, that Bob Marley is perfect for those imtimate moments which are very few and far between. (Valentine's Day And Other Assorted Stuff 2/13/03)
 
From 7th wave http://tsimon.com/rockroll.htm  if i copied and paste it right.  Probaly one of the better rock and roll/oldies webpages that i seen so far.  For those who remembered it, try www.beakerstreet.com   This was the show that i grew up listening to back in the high school years when it was on AM KAAY from little rock. Unfortly its only on from seven to midnite sunday nites, and for dial ups, you get a lotta buffering, but you can check out the playlist each and every week.  I do.  (RS note: Both links still work).
If hip hop boycotts buy Pepsi, I will buy more Pepsi Products. (News And other views 2/18)
 
 
What I remember most bout Seattle, is when I do look at the pictures that was taken on that trip was how blue the skies get when its nice and clear.  I dont think I ever seen such bluest skies anyplace that i have traveled.  I aslo regretted that I didnt spent much time at Experience Music Project Building next to the Space Needle. The EMP is a day long affair with all what happens up there.  But since my last visit, I have forgotten many of the places that I ate at, Taco Time and the Olive Garden was easy to remember, but the mexican places  names sound so similar, I tend to forget the name, although I did recall going to El Rancho, after I got off the plane.  There was also a Mexican Restraunt on Wheels across the street from the former Midway Drive In, which may have been better than our beloved Taco Time.  I did speak with the guy who owned this Food-on-wheels, and he started out in Arizona and migrated to the NW, and he says that he does make a good livin from it.
 
Next to nights in the desert, when the moon shines down on Downtown Seattle, are one of the most breathtaking views, I have had the pleasure of knowing.  It's probaly more romantic when your watching the sunset on the harbor or by the ocean.  When I do go to a big city, I tend to remember the positives rather than the negatives.  I would love to come back up there again, to continue to discover what Seattle does offer. (Bargains In Seattle 2001 2/19/03)
 
I remember from previous discussions in da chatroom and elsewhere, bout gas prices might pop around three bucks a gallon, and I poopooed that notion, well seems like reality is settling again, as I see the prices jump another ten cents in another week.  Out in the remotes in california, it seems that gas is now over two bucks a gallon, some as high as two fifty a gallon (somewhere out in the Calfornia/Nevada border I fathom).  Good thing I got some before going home.  We R at dollar sixty two, and dreams of dollar gallon gas are now fading as a arizona summer.  Needless to say if prices keep getting higher, the leisurely trip to Davenport, Waterloo, and Mad City will certainly be few and far between.  Can you say EBAY? (The Latest & The Lamest 2/2703)
 
Bo Diddley, sez  Bo dont do no rap, rap has no meaning and it wont last as long as he will.  That's why i love Bo Diddley,  Bo Knows Music and Bo Knows Rap is Crap. (The March 10th Playlist 3/10/03) RS 2008 thought, that was the week that Hank Ballad passed away.
 
I dont think any of my previous GF's knew how much of a music fanantic I was when they couldnt get me outta the music stores, and that included the more recent one.  But then my fate was sealed when Mom would drop me off in the Woolworth's music section and she come back half hour later and I was still there, sorting through the forty fives there.   She may have created a music monster there. (Crabb Writings 3/2/03)
 
 I typed up my list, puter locked, lost it.  My attention span has timed out. Trampus (April 17th Playlist 4/17/03)

 
Guess Sheryl Crow loves this area, she be playing in the Mark In Moline in June as well,  tickets are 35 to 75 bucks. WTF is this?  Why would anybody want to pay 75 bucks for a seat, do we get free beer and brats with this?  Or at least a De Caf Pepsi in the process?  For that price, I do expect a Lap dance and a kiss on the cheek if Im gonna to pay seventy five bucks to see Rock's biggest Hyprocrite screeching her soft rock bulloney.  But then again, if i want to hear that, i can watch two cats fight it out at 3 AM in the morning.   Then again, I rather now hear Sheryl do her own butcher version of Come, the worst moment on the new Fleetwood Mac album.  Then again, Sheryl will have to go on without my presence cuz on that nite i have to get my toenails removed, so sorry.   Maybe next time, when you lower your overpriced ass down by bout forty bucks. 
 
Seastarr responds.
 
Hello dear sweet crabby,
I know you're "crabby" about the cost of the tickets to see certain mediocre groups or has-beens and I can't agree with you more, the prices are outrageous!!   However, (and you knew you would hear from me on this one, didn't you??  I have to justify why I do spend money in that direction: 
1.  You can't take it with you.
2.  My kid's don't deserve the money right now, so why not spend it.
3.  It's something that me and my husband have in common and LOVE to do together.
4.  The pre party and ambiance (is that a word?) are a "high" all by themselves.
5.  I don't wear much jewelry, nor do I have an expensive wardrobe, so why not 75 bucks on a concert?  (Or shall I really scare ya and tell ya that Fleetwood Mac was over 100??  X 2 people? )
6.  We are not world travelers, just concert Junkies and may I say, I guess I can wear another crown...."Concert Queen".
 
Lmao,
I love your comments, Crabby, I just had to give you mine, Seastarr (from Eating Crow 5/18/03)
RS 2008: Yup I knew Sis would respond in her own way ;-)
 
Half Priced books and cd's (Madison, Des Moines, Phoenix,Seattle), problem with this place is that the cds are not with the case, so you have to go up to the cashier to get them, and usually they are scratched, since they stole them in plastic bags, and when they take them out, the cashier is careless, leaving surface scratches from not being handled carefully.  They do have a bargin bin, again hit and miss, and the CD's are in the case. They R probaly thinking that nobody wants them so they dont have to worry bout getting ripped off. (Favorite Hangouts 5/21/03)  RS Note: Half Priced Books was not in the CR area at this time but they would open up a store in Marion in 2005.
 
 
Finally, this will be the last posting for this subject matter.  Robert Oettinger, the owner of Oettinger's Music, a haven for old classic and cheap instruments has passed away this week.  Since he figured in the development of the music by providing some cymbals and drums in the formative years of da crabb's music.  He had worked in stints with Hiltbrunner's Music (RIP), and West Music, before starting his own instrument store in 1975.  Along with Old Man Keeney (RIP), to which i brought my old lamented Zickos Drumset, Mr Oettinger was instrumental for the beginnings of Paraphernalia, and later Route 66/Townedgers.
 
He will be missed. (Memorial Day Top Ten and other thoughts 5/22/03)
 
Final word on this part by Trampus
When I read da Crabb's writings about his travels and bargain hunting I feel like I know Charles Kuralt, who used to do the sunday show about america, always coming up with the true feel for an area. 
     I know Seattle well and da Crabb went right for its main themes like second nature.  The sky, the sunsets, the off ramps, the downtown market area, the university district, the general flavor in exquisite detail but as if you were hearing it in a casual conversation. 
     I think you have found your calling Crabby or at least a great extension to your passion for bargain hunting.  I'm impressed.
                                                     Your friend,  Trampus 

No comments:

Post a Comment