Monday, January 4, 2010

The Review Consortium

I love music. It's the only thing that matters to me.

For years I've been putting thoughts together in MSN Groups, My Space and Multiply since 2003 but before that I was a freelance writer for the free review papers that seemed to be the rage before the internet made things easier. For the past couple years I have been trying to find a better website than My Space and decided to settle on Blogspot for music reviews. Which is why I call this the Music Consortium since this will deal with music and music only. I might be a bit long winded or I may not give it enough attention but this is a work in process and spelling might be suspect and I may add run on sentences. But since I'm not getting paid for this, this is yet another music review site of music that matters to me or perhaps to you.

I have been told that my blogs have gotten better over the years and thanks for the comments to that. I know for sure that I'm not as extreme as I used to be although I have been known to throw a few f bombs in my other sites. I'm a observationist and I write like that. And I love to talk about music of the 50s through the 90s although I will comment on something new or even stuff before 1954 which is considered the beginning of the rock and roll era. I do like to read what Robert Christgau writes although he tends to favor rap and world music more than I care about. And Mark Prindle remains a great read, although he might be a bit TV-MA for the faint of heart or conservatives. I've known to chat with TAD from his website and he has extensive knowledge of music of the early 70s and prog rock.

Here in the Consortium, I will point out my favorite sites for music or where to find cheap cds, or those hard to find radio stations that go beyond the overplayed crap you hear on classic rock or modern rock or top forty and country. As I add more to this site, I'll be adding artists and bands from all decades, and add some country and jazz and blues to boot. What you will think about Tangerine Dream or the great Theolonois Monk or Foghat is up to you but they are a vast part of my listening pleasure here at the Consortium. I love Buddy Holly and Bobby Fuller but also enjoy Bobby Darin or Big Joe Turner. However there are other bands that I never gotten into (Bon Jovi, Poison, Radiohead, Motley Crue, Animal Collective) so I might include them into something I called Can't Review Them All. Sure it'd be easy to slam a Limp Bizkit or Mr. Mister but I think I will take the high road and let somebody else do the slamming for me.

Again, these are only my opinions so it shouldn't be the end of the world if I dis Train's Save Me San Francisco or Head East US 1, or think Sgt Pepper is only a B plus album. Everybody's ears are different so results will vary. And every Thursday I add something I call the Top Ten Of The Week which are songs off albums that I have played during the week, or something that I found at the pawnshop or thift store. Or it could be a scratchy 45 in my collection or heard off the radio. I do have a small following of fans that do enjoy reading the top ten so I keep them happy by putting one out every week. Maybe I'll have some new folks over here but maybe not. Don't know unless we try eh?

And so it goes. Here's hoping that the R S Crabb Music Consortium will be a entertaining read for you as well. Check back whenever ya can and as they say..."keep it rocking".

No comments:

Post a Comment